Citizens of certain countries who wish to pursue a course of study in Ireland must apply for a visa to enter Ireland before they travel here. Information on those who do not need an entry visa is available in our document: Visa requirements for entering Ireland.
If you are a non-EEA national coming to study in Ireland you must be enrolled in a full-time course on the Interim List of Eligible Programmes (ILEP). You can find out more in our document on the immigration rules for non-EEA students.
Visa applicants must apply online for their visa – see ‘How to apply’. If you wish to study in Ireland for less than 3 months you should apply for a ‘C study visa’. If your course lasts longer than 3 months, you should apply for a ‘D study visa’.
You will need to provide the following with your visa application. (Please remember, original documents are required and must be in English or accompanied by a notarised ranslation):
- Letter of acceptance from a recognised school/college/university in Ireland confirming that you have been accepted on a course of study. This course of study must be full-time (lasting an academic year) and have a minimum of 15 hours per week study time.
- Evidence of your academic ability to pursue the chosen course through the English language (unless it is an English language course).
- Evidence that the fees for the course have been paid in full.
- Evidence that you have enough funds (€7,000) to maintain yourself for the initial part of your stay.
- Evidence that you or a sponsor have access to at least €7,000 for each subsequent year of your studies, in addition to the course fees for each of those years.
- Evidence that you have private medical insurance
- An explanation of any gaps in your educational history
- Confirmation that you intend to return to your country of permanent residence when you leave Ireland.
Remember, the granting of a student visa to study in Ireland does not confer the automatic right of anyone to join or visit you in Ireland (whether they are a relative or not).
You will find more detailed information on the exact requirements for a student visa on the website of the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service of the Department of Justice and Equality.