Reset Password

Your search results

Tier 4 (General) student visa:

You can apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK if you’re 16 or over and you:

-Have been offered a place on a course

-Can speak, read, write and understand English

-Have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course – the amount will vary depending on your circumstances.

You have to demonstrate to immigration officials that you have enough funds in your bank account to cover your course fees for one year or the whole length of course if shorter than a year and enough living expenses for your first 9 months stay in the UK which is calculated as £1265 per month for London and £1015 per month for everywhere else in the UK.
You should submit ONE of the following as evidence of funds:

-A bank account statement
-A building society/savings account type passbook
-A dated and signed letter from a financial institution stating that you are the account holder, the account number, and the funds in the account held over the minimum 28 day period You may use your parents bank account but will need to provide a birth certificate and accompanying letter from your parents confirming they agree for you to use their bank account
-Are from a country that’s not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland meet the other eligibility requirements When to apply
You can apply from 3 months before the start of your course.
You’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks. You can check visa processing times for your country.

What you can and can’t do


-Work as a student union sabbatical officer

-Apply from inside or outside the UK

-apply to extend your stay
-Work in most jobs – depending on what level your course is and what kind of sponsor you have

-Get public funds
-Work in certain jobs, eg professional sportsperson or sports coach
-Study at an academy or a local authority-funded school (also known as a maintained school)
You may be able to bring in family members (dependants).
Read the full guidance to find out how long you might be able to stay and what you can and can’t do.

How long you can stay

You can arrive in the UK before your course starts:

-Up to 1 week before, if your course lasts 6 months or less
-Up to 1 month before, if your course lasts more than 6 months

How long you can stay depends on the kind of course you’re doing and what study
you’ve already completed.


It costs £328 to apply for this visa from outside the UK.
You must pay £328 per person for any dependants.
You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.

Documents you must provide

When you apply for the visa you must provide:
-A current passport or other valid travel documentation
-Proof that you can support yourself and pay for your course – this will vary depending on your circumstances
-Proof of parental or other legal guardian consent if you’re under 18
-Your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
You need a page in your passport that’s blank on both sides for your visa.
You may also need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.
Your documents will usually be sent back within 14 days.

You must have:

-An unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor
-Enough money to support yourself and pay for your course – the amount will vary depending on your circumstances

Your course

You can do a course that’s one of the following:
-Full-time leading to a qualification that’s at least level 6 on the Ofqual register
-An overseas course of degree level study that’s equal to a UK higher education course and is being run by an overseas higher education institution
-Full-time, with at least 15 hours per week of organised daytime study, leading to a qualification which is at least level 3 on the Ofqual register
-A recognised foundation programme as a postgraduate doctor or dentist Postgraduate doctors and dentists
You can apply for this visa if you’re sponsored to do a recognised foundation programme and you’ve:

-Finished a recognised UK degree in medicine or dentistry
-Received that degree from a registered Tier 4 sponsor
-Spent your final year and at least 1 other year of studies leading to that degree in the UK

Confirmation of acceptance for studies

Your education provider will send you a reference number called a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) once they’ve offered you a place on a course. You’ll need to enter this on your visa application.

You must apply for your visa no more than 6 months after you receive the CAS.
Further study in the UK

You can only get a CAS for a new course if you’ve studied in the UK before and
-Re-sitting exams or repeating modules
-Applying for the first time to a new institution to complete a course you started at an institution that’s lost its Tier 4 sponsorship
-Applying to complete a PhD or other doctorate that you started studying under your last Tier 4 (General) student visa
-Studying for a new qualification at a higher academic level
-Studying for a new qualification at the same level and related to your previous
course or career aspirations – it must be degree level or above at a Higher Education Institution (HEI)
-Applying after working as a student union sabbatical officer to complete a qualification you started studying under your last Tier 4 (General) student visa

Knowledge of English

You must prove your knowledge of the English language when you apply.
This usually means passing a secure English language test (SELT).
Degree level or above: Equivalent to CEFR (Common European Framework for languages) level B2, CEFR level B2.
Below degree: CEFR level B1

Some accommodations increase their price in summer season, contact our team for more information.